Thursday, August 5, 2010

Longing for Chaos

Do you have any idea how long I have wanted this?


or longed for this?


and yes, even dreamed about this.


I've wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember, seriously. I was that girl in high school that wanted a baby, that girl in college who wanted 20, and now I'm that MOM who thinks 4 sounds about right. Ok, maybe not four, but you get the picture, and speaking of picture don't show this one to my husband just yet, ok?


Sometimes I feel like I should have it more together, and one day I hope to. Be more organized. Keep a cleaner house. Cook from scratch more often. But all it takes is one quick reminder as to why I'm so lucky to have this chaos. Remind me what REALLY matters. . . .and it isn't clean floors, streak free windows, or folded laundry.


Adding to the chaos, we have these two living with us. Don't get me wrong they pull their weight, ALWAYS volunteering to clean up after dinner and 'help' with the dishes. The downside is that I have to vacuum every day.


Every other day at a bare minimum (and I'm not saying I haven't gone more than that..). This process of vacuuming includes picking up all the toys from the floor and moving them somewhere the vacuum won't try to eat them. Unfortunately this ended up being their primary location.


Obscuring our wedding picture, a bowl of fake lemons (don't ask), ipod docking station, and my digital picture frame that hasn't been updated since Christmas. Obviously this isn't ideal. How to solve this problem? IKEA.



I've never been to an IKEA before Germany. I guess we don't have them in Kansas? We moved here and everyone suggested going there for the random household stuff we would inevitably need. We were told basic directions and that it was "right off the highway" "look to the left- you'll see it" and "can't miss it." But we did miss it. The first day we went to IKEA all of Regensburg was covered in a dense fog. You couldn't see 20 feet in front of you, let alone a giant blue building with big. yellow. letters. Now it's a frequent favorite and the place we turned to when we needed a big sturdy piece of furniture that could take some abuse and offer some organization and relief to our bookcase.


This is what we ended up with. I love it. Yeah, I know it's not incredibly classy. There is NO hiding what it is. It's a toy shelf. (Assuming everything is put away somewhat nicely) I never regret looking over at it and reminding myself why it is there, and that in a few hours my little love will return from dreamland, bringing beautiful chaos with him.







And in other IKEA related news have you all tried the Allmondy? I LOVE it- I LOVE Daim too, for that matter. Ah, Sweden. (This is also me being IKEA ignorant, and assuming they all have a food section, right?) Go check it out.

Ikea always has great things. Here are three more things we ended up with. Yes we only NEEDED a shelf, but how can you pass up gems like this.


Creepy spider puppet. I guess if you don't know what spiders are and how terrifyingly scary they can be, you might think this is the coolest toy.


Cups. Why spend 20+ bucks on a toy with noises and flashing lights? No really, why? These cups are probably his favorite toy. ever. (Except maybe books, they just taste too good.)


Awesome alligator bath mat. Makes ME want to play in the tub.


Oh and last time we were at IKEA Andy and I had the best .99 Euro cent hotdog ever. No picture, just wanted you to know.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post... I don't think there is an IKEA sore in KS but that hasn't stopped our family from shopping with them online :) the alligator bath mat is awesome!

    ReplyDelete